Getting quality concrete to the job site is not the end of the story for a good job. The concrete needs to be placed and finished properly to keep it strong and durable for years to come.
- Don’t add water to the surface of the concrete until it has attained its initial set (hardened)
- Don’t begin finishing techniques until all the bleed water (water on the surface) has evaporated
- Don’t hard trowel exterior flatwork–it will weaken the surface
- Add expansion joints in the concrete as required
- Apply an approved curing and sealing compound as soon as possible after the concrete has received final finishing (final trowel) add an approved sealing compound to the concrete around the end of November
- Refrain from the use of de-icing chemicals (salt or calcium chloride) for the first winter. NEVER use de-icers containing ammonium sulphate or ammonium nitrate